Jham Chakro village resides in the depths of Karachi’s largest landfills. Here, you helped us build the villages first ever learning facility. Many donors observing the month of Ramadan chose to donate their charity to Thaakat and we are so grateful. In the month of Ramadan, Muslims are obligated to give 2.5% of their wealth to people in need.
Thanks to donor support this last year, we went on to adopt a second campus nearby as well as our partner college, Al Khair intermediary college. Today, our highschool students have moved on to become entrepreneurs, college students, teachers and account administrators. More than 40% of them go on to attend Al Khair college.
We turn over our Zakaat funds as quickly as we can to assist in urgent and priority work. Our goal at Thaakat is to put our funds to work especially with the donations you sent us in the last 30 days. We were able to raise a total of $125,000. We disbursed $65,000 by mid-June. The remainder of the funds will support our three campuses for the next 6 months. Our monthly expenses for a total of 1,100 students across the campuses comes to more than $12,000 a month. Your contribution makes such an impact for us.
Below is how donations have already helped:
- We provided food care packs for 800 families at the cost of $25 each. These packs contain enough flour, sugar, oil and rice to last a family of up to 7 people at least 3 weeks. Due to the extreme Karachi heat, many laborers are out of work and these food packs help tremendously.
- We supplied operating funds for our 3 schools for the months of June, July and August. This covers the education of more than 1100 students and salaries for 45 staff members who are the breadwinners for their families.
- We disbursed funds to improve our Montessori level classrooms with shelves, cabinets and new books and supplies.
- We sent on $8,000 for expansion at our primary and largest campus- Campus III, this includes the addition of 2 more classrooms.
- Our Grand Iftar- a generous donor provided for a grand dinner event at our campus for over 3,000 people which included students and their families.
- In coming weeks, we are set to disburse another $8,000 thanks to donor One Ummah Foundation. In 2018, we hope to build an additional school serving girls who cannot travel long distances to reach our campus. In an area where an orthodox culture still prevents females from receiving an education, this will help us in encouraging parents to take that first step.
We are currently the sole financial providers for these 1,100 students and 45 staff members. Your help makes an unimaginable difference in the lives of these people who need us.
Learn more about our DREAMS project.